Wednesday, November 28, 2007

HR Interview Questions

1. Tell me about yourself?
I am down-to-earth, sweet, smart, creative, industrious, and thorough.

2. How has your experience prepared you for your career?
Coursework:
Aside from the discipline and engineering foundation learning that I have gained from my courses, I think the design projects, reports, and presentations have prepared me most for my career.
Work Experience:
Through internships, I have gained self-esteem, confidence, and problem-solving skills. I also refined my technical writing and learned to prepare professional documents for clients.
Student Organizations:
By working on multiple projects for different student organizations while keeping up my grades, I've built time management and efficiency skills. Additionally, I've developed leadership, communication, and teamwork abilities.
Life Experience:
In general, life has taught me determination and the importance of maintaining my ethical standards.

3. Describe the ideal job.
Ideally, I would like to work in a fun, warm environment with individuals working independently towards team goals or individual goals. I am not concerned about minor elements, such as dress codes, cubicles, and the level of formality. Most important to me is an atmosphere that fosters attention to quality, honesty, and integrity.

4. What type of supervisor have you found to be the best?
I have been fortunate enough to work under wonderful supervisors who have provided limited supervision, while answering thoughtful questions and guiding learning. In my experience, the best supervisors give positive feedback and tactful criticism.

5. What do you plan to be doing in five years' time?
Taking the Project Management exam and serving in supervisory/leadership roles both at work and in professional/community organization(s).

6. What contributions could you make in this organization that would help you to stand out from other applicants?
In previous internships, my industriousness and ability to teach myself have been valuable assets to the company. My self-teaching abilities will minimize overhead costs, and my industriousness at targeting needs without prompting will set me apart from others. Additionally, one thing that has always set me apart from my scientific/engineering peers are my broad interests and strong writing abilities.

7. What sort of criteria are you using to decide the organization you will work for?
Most importantly, I am looking for a company that values quality, ethics, and teamwork. I would like to work for a company that hires overachievers.

8. What made you choose your major?
My academic interests are broad, so I sought engineering to achieve a great balance of mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, and writing.

9. Have your university and major met your expectations?
The College at has exceeded my expectations by providing group activities, career resources, individual attention, and professors with genuine interest in teaching.
My major has met my expectations by about 90%. I would have enjoyed more choices in courses, and would have preferred more calculus-based learning.

10. What made you choose this college?
I chose this college for the following reasons: The High standards of learning and the excellent faculty impressed me, I saw active student groups, and the people were very friendly.

11. List 2-3 of your greatest achievements since you've been in college and why?
Receiving the Meritorious Student Award and Outstanding Achievement Award in organizing the National Level Event.
I got involved with student activities to overcome my debilitating shyness. Receiving these awards signified that I had accomplished a transition from dragging myself to participate to feeling energized by it.
Earning the highest grade in class of ~200 people, I worked very hard for this grade, so it was a great feeling to see that the hard work paid off.

12. Which subjects have you enjoyed studying the most and why?
I have enjoyed software engineering, programming in C, Datastructure and DBMS because I love the topics, where I can put my creativity logically.
Calculus and linear algebra also excite me because I love logic.
MIS thrilled me because I have a strong interest in organizing the things logically.

13. Which subjects did you dislike and why?
Introductory Accounting little interest in me, most likely because I am not very good at numbers, the book was ineffective, and I had little spare time that semester to look into other resources.

14. Do you have plans to continue your education?
Yes, but not immediately. I plan to continue with either part time or distance learning MBA depending on which will be more beneficial to my work.

15. How would a professor who knows you well describe you? One who does not know you well?
A professor who knows me well would likely describe my personal qualities: sweet, down-to-earth, smart, hard-working, and conscientious.
As specific examples of those who did not know me well, my accounts professor considered me smart and respectful, and thought that I must have enjoyed the class a lot, due to my performance.

16. Given the chance, how would you alter your education?
Knowing now what I like the most, I would have used my electives for extra math and psychology classes, since I tend to be well-rounded enough that a variety of classes are unnecessary; my personal reading is diverse enough. I have found that mathematics and psychology are helpful to all career and life paths.

17. Which part-time job did you enjoy the most and why?
Working for was most enjoyable to me, since I felt like I was significantly contributing to the company, and I enjoyed learning on my own.

18. Interests:
Some of my interests include Music, singing, writing, reading (especially novels) , drawing, watching cricket, and computers.

19. What are your strengths?
My strongest strength is the ability to teach myself difficult material, regardless of the subject. Additionally, I have always excelled verbally and look forward to writing opportunities.

20. What are your weaknesses?
I tend to try to do too many things, leaving little time for myself. I have worked on balancing myself for the last several months. I am also working on improving my public speaking skills.

21. What sort of serious problems have you experienced, and how have you handled them?
Getting caught with Typhoid jsut a month before my Semester Exams was the very hard and serious issue but fortunately, I had studied throughout the semester. I missed about 15 days of college due to the illness. Within 2 weeks, I had recovered reasonably from the illness and thanks to my habit of making notes, which proved very beneficial at the time of exams.

22. Do you or have you in the past experimented with illegal drugs?
No. My only addictions are caffeine and sugar.

23. Would you be willing to take a drug test?
Of course.

24. Do you drink alcohol socially?
No, but I enjoy Shirley Temples quite a bit.

25. How do you propose to compensate for your lack of experience?
My zeal, fast learning and quick adaption to the technogies will be an added advantage for the job I would be doing. I am hard-worker and a very quick learner and never afraid to put an extra effort to reach the desired level required by the job.

Some of the questions posted by many college freshers

  • I have given an HR inteview where they ask me to write where do you see yourself in 5 years down lane.
  • Why should we not hire you?
  • What should be the answer for why did you choose and persue carrer in only hr in an interview
  • What to answer and what not to answer for "Tell me something about you"
  • Why do you want to leave your current job?
  • Why do you want to join in industry? (for recent graduates)
  • How do you organize your priorities?
  • What is management interview ? (after clearing technical interview they asked me to come for this?)
  • What are the things you are suppose to describe, if the HR asks you "Tell me something about yourself
  • How can I elobrate my strengths with examples?
  • What are the competitive challenges in Human Resource Management?
  • Why u want to change the present company?
  • What is ergonomics
  • Why do you want to join this company?
  • Why do you want to leave your previous job?
  • where do you see yourself after 10 years from now?
  • Suppose you already have job offer and giving to interview to other new company. What reasoning should you give for sitting again?
  • My questions are:-Why do you like to join this company?What would you do for the growth of this company?
  • What should i answer if my interviewer asks me about my short and long term goals.Tell me with some example.
  • Give an answer with an example how i should answer for tell me about yourself?
  • If they ask tell about yourself,from where i have to start.give an answer with an example?
  • Why do you think you would do well at this job?
  • What is more important to you: the money or the work?
  • What would your previous supervisor say your strongest point is?
  • Tell me about a problem you had with your supervisor.
  • What has disappointed you about a job?
  • Tell me about your ability to work under pressure.
  • Do your skills match this job or another job more closely?
  • What motivates you to do your best on the job?
  • Are you willing to work overtime? Nights? Weekends?
  • Would you be willing to relocate if required?
  • Are you willing to put the interests of the organization ahead of your own?
  • Describe your management style.
  • What have you learned from mistakes on the job?
  • Do you have any blind spots?
  • If you were hiring a person for this job, what would you look for?
  • Do you think you are overqualified for this position?
  • How do you propose to compensate for your lack of experience?
  • What qualities do you look for in a boss?
  • Tell me about a time when you helped resolve a dispute between others.

No comments: