Friday, March 27, 2009

I need to load an image from flickr into my application. Do I need a crossdomain.xml file on flickr

Question :I need to load an image from flickr into my application. Do I need a crossdomain.xml file on flickr?
Answer :File is already there , we need to register our ip address to flicker’s crossdomain.xml.
Since the images are located on a flickr server like farm1.static.flickr.com and there is no
crossdomain.xml file on that server (there is a crossdomain.xml for api.flickr.com so you can use the
api) that means you can’t get access to the bitmapData of the loaded images when you load them
from flickr. This is dumb, but that’s the way it is. So you can load images just fine, but the reflection
class copies the bitmapData of the image, so that doesn’t work if you load them straight from the
flickr server. I also wanted to set bitmap smoothing to true on the images so the thumbnails don’t
look as pixelated, and that also requires access to the bitmapData of the loaded image.
So the answer is to create a proxy that loads the flickr image so it appears to come from the same
domain.

No comments: